Course available from September 2020, for first exams in June 2022.
- Operating systems and architecture
- Pseudocode and flowcharts
- Binary systems and hexadecimal
- Programming concepts
- Input, output and storage
- Problem-solving and design
- High/Low level programming languages
- Logic gates and circuits
- Communications technology
- Security and ethics
- Programming and problem solving
In each year there is also time for revision and trial examinations, and in Year 2 students will prepare for their programming paper.
Activities and assessments
The course includes the following activities: readings on current topics, worked examples, quizzes, self-assessments, programming tasks and marked written assignments. Teachers will review and grade assignments during the course. There are also unit discussions to support students with each topic.
The final examinations for students on this course consist of 2 externally-assessed papers, covering:
- Paper 1 (Theory) —1 hour 45 minutes, 60%, Short answer and structured questions
- Paper 2 (Problem-solving and programming) – 1 hour 45 minutes, 40%, Short answer and structured questions with some pre-released material
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in IGCSE Computer Science, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week to study. It is important that students regularly keep up with the readings and the course activities in a timely manner. And that they contact their Pamoja teacher if they fall behind or need help with assignments.
Equipment and practical work
Benefits to students
Taking IGCSE Computer Science will enable students to:
- become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
- develop skills like time management, communication and digital literacy
- develop technical skills that can be applied to problem solving in everyday life
Per 2-year course
Per 2-year course
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.
- Cambridge IGCSE Computer Science (0478) syllabus overview and guide
- Hodder Education Student eTextbooks information
- Technology requirements
Hodder Education eTextbook
This course is dependent on student etextbooks provided by Hodder Education and hosted on the Dynamic Learning platform. Please ensure you check the Hodder Dynamic Learning guidance to ensure your systems are able to access this service. This service is provided as part of the Pamoja course fee - find out more.