The course covers the following topics:
- Course Overview
- The Magic Lantern
- There Was This Guy
- The Dark Side
- A Funny Thing Happened
- Single Vision
- Lenses of Truth
- We’ve Got Rhythm
- Shafts of Light
- Shafts of Light
- ME Watching You
- Breaking all the Rules
- The Human Heart
- This Town Ain’t Big Enough
- A New Set of Eyes
- To the Stars
- Final Take
What is different in taking Film SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- choose an art class that may not be offered at their school
- study alongside students from around the world
- exchange ideas with people from very different backgrounds
- use technology much more than in a face-to-face environment, especially in their communication tools
- add flexibility to their timetable
Activities and assessment
Every activity has its own assessment rubric. Students may create a one-minute video without dialogue that includes at least two characters and a dinner table; create a Twilight Zone film where a character transitions between different places and time periods that are unconnected in reality; recreate a scene from a favourite film; film the same location twice (the second time light and design the location to recreate a place typical of a chosen genre of film); record an analysis of how film language creates meaning in a five-minute extract from a film; create a storyboard; or create a map showing camera placement, lighting, and actor movement in a scene.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Students will need a video camera or DSLR that has manual focus, a sturdy tripod and editing software such as iMovie, Final Cut or Premiere, as basic requirements. A lighting kit and recording device (handheld or microphone) would be excellent additions.
Benefits to students
Taking Film SL online will enable students to:
- enhance their passion for the subject
- deepen their understanding of the how and why of filmmaking
- develop intercultural understanding which is sought by the world’s top universities
- develop 21st century skills like time management, communication and digital literacy which are much in demand by employers
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.