Cambridge International AS and A Level
Mathematics (One Year)
The course offers the following units of study:
- Geometry, Quadratics and Functions
- Data, Probability and Series
- Discrete Random Variables and Normal Distribution
- Algebra, Logarithms and Exponential Functions
- Trigonometry and Further Quadratics
- Forces and Laws of Mechanics
- Numerical Solutions, Differentials and Vectors
- Complex Numbers
- Kinematics, Energy and Power
There is also time for revision and trial examinations.
Activities and assessments
The course includes the following activities: worked examples and practice exercises on core topics, quizzes and marked assignments. Teachers will review and grade assignments during the course. There are also unit discussions to support students with each topic.
This single year course prepares students to sit the following Cambridge International A Level Mathematics (9709) Papers:
- Paper 1 — 1 hour 50 minutes, 30% structured questions on Pure Mathematics 1
- Paper 5 — 1 hour 15 minutes, 20% structured questions on Probability & Statistics 1
- Paper 3 — 1 hour 50 minutes, 30%, structured questions on Pure Mathematics 3
- Paper 4 — 1 hour 15 minutes, 20%, structured questions on Mechanics
Key points to note:
- This course does not prepare students to sit Paper 2 – Pure Mathematics 2 (for AS Level students only) or Paper 6 – Probability & Statistics 2.
- The fast pace of this one-year course does not support students taking interim AS levels.
- This course is ideal as a precursor for students wishing to then sit Mathematics – Further (9231) in their second year of A Level studies.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in International A Level Mathematics within a single year, we recommend students set aside twenty to thirty hours a week to study. It is important that students regularly keep up with the readings and the course activities in a timely manner. And that they contact their Pamoja teacher if they fall behind or need help with assignments.
Minimum entry requirements
To successfully study Cambridge International A Level with us, students need to have attained:
- a grade B (or grade 6) and above in IGCSE Mathematics (or the equivalent in an internationally recognised qualification)
It is the school’s responsibility to ensure that the student has met these minimum entry requirements. Pamoja Taught courses and Pamoja teachers assume that these minimum entry requirements have been met and the student therefore has the necessary foundational knowledge and ability to work at the pace required by the course.
Benefits to students
Taking International A Level Mathematics (Single Year) online will enable students to:
- develop their skills in working with mathematical information
- solve problems and analyse results
- become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
- develop skills like time management, communication and digital literacy
- move on to take Mathematics - Further (9231) as a single year course in their second year of A Level studies
Cambridge International calculator guidance
International A Level Mathematics students will require a scientific calculator when studying the course and for examinations. As stated below, Cambridge International allows for a wide range of calculators to be used in examinations. Pamoja teachers have suggested the Casio ClassWiz models as suitable for this course, such as the fx-991 EX.
Candidates can use programmable calculators [in examinations]. However, calculators with any of the following facilities are not allowed, unless stated otherwise in the syllabus:
- graphic display
- data banks
- language translators
- retrieval or manipulation of text or formulae
- QWERTY keyboards
- built-in symbolic algebraic manipulations (output must be numeric not algebraic)
- symbolic differentiation or integration (output must be numeric not algebraic)
- capability of any remote communication
Pilot the Pamoja Online Course for up to four weeks from the day the course commences.
- Cambridge International AS and A Level Mathematics (9709) syllabus overview and guide
- Hodder Education Student eTextbooks information
- Technology requirements
Hodder Education eTextbook
This course is dependent on student etextbooks provided by Hodder Education and hosted on the Dynamic Learning platform. Please ensure you check the Hodder Dynamic Learning guidance to ensure your systems are able to access this service. This service is provided as part of the Pamoja course fee - find out more.